I Miss Pie

25 Jun

I’m homesick for this blog.  Pie Eyed was started so innocently, as a way to lighten my personal load and channel energy into something uplifting. And it worked.  I loved where this blog took me over the years.

I took a break from pie when my love of writing random thoughts ignited a new blog I named Fix Serve.  It was a cousin to Pie Eyed but focused more on my hobby of writing essays and less about baking. It seemed logical to separate the two but I have been homesick for Pie Eyed ever since.

I’m more comfortable here.  On these familiar, unfussy pages, I take myself less seriously.  I’ve been quiet in my writing because I’m tired of hearing myself think. And I’m tired of being a part of the sea of blogs that tell each other what they think through open letters and numbered lists of opinions about mundane topics. Pie Eyed was lighter, less serious and, well, me.  In a time when our world is getting more serious by the minute, I want rewind and go back to pie.

So, in an open letter to no one who is paying attention, here are five reasons I am going back to pie:

1. Pie keeps my mind light and surrounds me with comfort and good feelings.
  2. Pie is timeless and infuses my psyche with a reminder to keep things simple.
  3. Pie reminds me that beauty is on the inside.
  4. Pie inspires gathering – you can’t eat one alone.
  5. Pie gives us something to agree on in a world where our differences are dividing us.

I’m going back to pie.  My place where the world stays simple and we talk about things that are interesting, beautiful and delicious.

15 ways to betteryourself at work

Advertisements

12 Responses to “I Miss Pie”

1. Terri June 25, 2016 at 11:41 am #

Glad to see you’re back to this blog! Looking forward to enjoying future posts!

• Emily June 26, 2016 at 6:52 am #

Me too! Thanks so much for leaving a note – I’m so glad to be back in touch!

2. Krista Kovacs June 25, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

Love this blog.. Looking forward to more!

• Emily June 26, 2016 at 6:53 am #

You are too sweet – I’m so funny about blogs. Never quite know what the right thing to do is, but I think that’s the point – there is no right thing and I just need to have fund and not over think it. Here’s to more pie! 🙂

3. Tom McFarland June 25, 2016 at 3:24 pm #

I’m glad you are back. I’ve had a lot of changes in my life in the last year and a half, but pie has been a sustaining constant.

• Emily June 26, 2016 at 6:56 am #

You are still here! This comment made me so happy – it’s like coming home to my people. I always enjoyed exchanging ideas with you and hope that the changes in your life have been positive, and if not I hope pie gave you a soft place to land. Looking forward to hearing more about what you have been up to in life and in pie!

4. Teresa June 26, 2016 at 2:27 am #

I’m glad to see you back! Pie is wonderfully sustaining, I agree.

• Emily June 26, 2016 at 6:57 am #

Hey, Lady! I’m so glad to hear from you. You are so right – it seems silly at time to take so much joy in pie, but I tell ya, there is something very special about it. I say we all need more pie in our lives! Looking forward to catching up with you!

5. jill savin June 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm #

I always enjoy your writing! lite or heavy

• Emily June 29, 2016 at 7:02 am #

Thank you, Jill – that means a lot to me! XO

6. Cindy Biggs June 27, 2016 at 8:02 pm #

Happy to see pie-eyed back! I like number 5…it’s something we can all agree on. I had a friend whose mom died on mothers day come over one evening. I knew he loved pie, so I made an apple pie from apples from the orchard next to our farm. He shared his grief, but ioved the pie which reminded him of home and his mom. It’s easy to do and easy to replicate once you have a good recipe. It’s just another good way to pause.

• Emily June 29, 2016 at 7:04 am #

I couldn’t agree more! On the surface, it seems a little strange to give so much credit to pie, but there is something special about that particular dessert that encourages sharing and interaction with people. I think I need to expand my love letter to pie. Haha. Hope your summer is going well!!