I’m homesick for this blog. Pie Eyed was started so innocently, as a way to lighten my personal load and channel energy into something uplifting. And it worked. I loved where this blog took me over the years.
I took a break from pie when my love of writing random thoughts ignited a new blog I named Fix Serve. It was a cousin to Pie Eyed but focused more on my hobby of writing essays and less about baking. It seemed logical to separate the two but I have been homesick for Pie Eyed ever since.
I’m more comfortable here. On these familiar, unfussy pages, I take myself less seriously. I’ve been quiet in my writing because I’m tired of hearing myself think. And I’m tired of being a part of the sea of blogs that tell each other what they think through open letters and numbered lists of opinions about mundane topics. Pie Eyed was lighter, less serious and, well, me. In a time when our world is getting more serious by the minute, I want rewind and go back to pie.
So, in an open letter to no one who is paying attention, here are five reasons I am going back to pie:
- Pie keeps my mind light and surrounds me with comfort and good feelings.
- Pie is timeless and infuses my psyche with a reminder to keep things simple.
- Pie reminds me that beauty is on the inside.
- Pie inspires gathering – you can’t eat one alone.
- Pie gives us something to agree on in a world where our differences are dividing us.
I’m going back to pie. My place where the world stays simple and we talk about things that are interesting, beautiful and delicious.